Tuesday, April 30, 2013

We Now Return To Our Regular Programming

Been a busy couple of weeks; sorry for not updating.  Busy on several fronts, too.  First of all, I have been pretty sick.  As I've said here more than once, springtime is not kind to those of us with autoimmune disease, and this spring has been really abysmal as far as my symptoms are concerned.  So far I have managed to keep myself out of hospital, but it has not been easy.  And in spite of how lousy I've been feeling, I had to go to Pittsburgh for a couple of days to move my daughter home once she finished finals for her sophomore year.  She and I are butting heads a little bit, as she wants to stretch her wings and stay in Pittsburgh for the summer.  I feel that this is the last summer that she'll be spending a length of time at home, and I don't want to lose it.  Next year will be summer school, or work study, or study abroad, or an internship, and that'll be her summers from here on out.  I just want one last summer with her and she's not seeing it from my point of view.  Frankly, I wouldn't have seen my point of view either, not at age 20.  But the difference is that I fled a physically and emotionally abusive home.  I think her home was different.  By the time I was seventeen, I had lost track of how many times I had suffered a brutal beating by my father.  My daughter has had, I'm grateful to say, a very different kind of upbringing.  (Basically, I just did everything the opposite from what my parents did for, and to, me.  It seems to have worked rather well.)

So she is home, reluctantly, and equally reluctantly looking for a summer job here as well as back in Pittsburgh.  Here's hoping she finds something close to home first.

I've also been trying to get a wider audience for this little blog of mine.  I submitted applications to several places such as Examiner-dot-com and HuffPost, and received rejection letters which said that my writing style did not fit their needs at the present time.  Form letters, but they stung.  And I hung up my pencil for a while.  Add the rejection letters to what's been going on in the news -- particularly the refusal of the Senate to do any meaningful gun reform -- and I was wondering what the point is of even trying to express an opinion.

And the point, of course, is that it's therapeutic for ME to vent my thoughts.  I would love it if I found a wider audience, but the main thing is that I do it for me.  The both of you will just have to bear with me.

No comments:

Post a Comment