Thursday, April 11, 2013

I got nothin'.

Little disappointed at the lack of commentary from you all as to whether or not to keep this page a mixture of a little bit of everything, or to stay focused on the comics and pop culture and put the political and health rants elsewhere.  Otherwise, not much going on.  My daughter should be home from university in less than three weeks, assuming she doesn't find a job or an internship where she is.  My health is circling the drain, but it does that every spring.  Regular readers will know that I suffer from a whole "suite" of autoimmune diseases, and the same pollens that cause normal people to have spring allergies kick everything autoimmune into high gear.  Most autoimmune diseases, like rheumatoid arthritis or Crohn's Disease, are caused by an over-exaggerated response by a defective immune system.  Anything that kicks that immune response into an even higher gear -- like spring allergies -- intensifies and worsens ALL of your autoimmune systems.  So I am hobbling around the house with swollen aching joints like a man twenty years my senior, and spending fully half of my day in the bathroom because the Crohn's is in overdrive.  It's disappointing, to say the least.

But I do have a bunch of things to look forward to, and that's what keeps me going.  Things like my daughter coming home for a few weeks (maybe.)  This will almost certainly be the last time she spends any serious length of time at home.  (Next summer will almost certainly mean summer school and an internship.)  Other upcoming delights of the season include:

• Free Comic Book Day!  The first Saturday in May is always FCBD at comics shops all over the country, and my store in Mechanicsburg, PA -- Comix Connection, the best store in PA -- will be no exception.  My store does it differently than most -- most stores give you a free comic book.  My store gives you three for showing up, and one additional comic for every can of food you bring to donate to the Central Pennsylvania Food Bank.  It's a great idea, a worthy cause, and routinely raises approximately 2,000 pounds of food.

• Summer movies!  A great crop this year, too, including Iron Man 3 and the new Superman reboot, Man of Steel.  Not to mention Pacific Rim by Guillermo del Toro as well as a host of other genre flicks.

• Birthday blues!  Nah, not really, but I do turn 60 this July, which is a landmark of sorts, or so I am told.

So lots going on, and I'm hopeful that it will all provide fodder for these pages.  So stick with me!

No comments:

Post a Comment