Monday, January 21, 2013

Family Matters

I am pretty much estranged from my own family.  I have one sister to whom I am relatively close.  My other two sibs are pretty much strangers.  And I only have perfunctory contact with my surviving parent, my dad.  If it wasn't for the fact that I wanted my daughter to know she had a grandfather, we would have been quits a long, long time ago.

So most of my family stuff comes from my wife's side.  She has three surviving sisters, and her mom is still alive and going strong into her 80's.  And while I don't always agree with their politics or religious views, I care for them all quite a lot.

But their kids suck when it comes to choosing spouses.

Well, that's not entirely fair.  I am writing this to commiserate over two of my nephews-in-law, and only one of them came to us through marriage to a niece.  The other one we inherited from a previous marriage.

After the Colorado theater shootings, the former nephew-in-law (or "nil") was all over Facebook going crazy over gun rights, concealed carry laws, and how things would have been "different" if HE'D been at that theater.  Why, he would have Dirty Harry'd that bad guy in the first two seconds.

Right.  Because firing a weapon into a smoke-filled darkened room full of screaming children is such a good idea.  This guy is the poster child for idiocy.

And the other nil is the one that prompted today's mini-essay.  His dad is a freelance sound engineer who tweeted from ABC on the Capitol Mall as he was getting ready for the Inauguration today.  My nil's response:  "Is that today?  Traffic is going to suck."

Because the first thing we should think about when given the opportunity to see a behind-the-scenes front-row seat of history in the making is that "traffic is going to suck."

Oh, if only we COULD pick our families as easily as we can pick our noses.  Idiots.

No comments:

Post a Comment