Thursday, September 15, 2011

On Vacation

I haven't posted in a while for the simple reason that my wife has taken me with her to this year's conference of the American Academy of Family Practice Physicians. It is the first vacation we have taken with just the two of us in almost twenty years and we made the choice to turn it into a second honeymoon of sorts. We came down a few days early to sit in the sun together and have somebody else do the cooking and cleaning up for a little while. I have to admit to feeling a little nervous. As new empty nesters, would we still connect the way we used to? Would there still be things to talk about once the kids and work were taken out of the equation? Turns out, I needn't have worried. We spent some lovely and lively days together, and even the evenings (now that the conference has started) have been fun. Tonight we went down to a place called Pirate Cove and played 18 holes of mini-golf. There we were, two fogeys in our fifties, acting like the high school kids we once were together. Mini-golf, for goodness' sake. For what it's worth, I cleaned her clocks. And she had two -- two! -- holes-in-one! Just goes to show, I guess, that you're never too old to have a first date again.

No comments:

Post a Comment