Friday, June 17, 2011

OPENING TODAY, POOZERS!

Yep, today's the day!  Green Lantern opens nationwide, in select cities in 3-D!  Look for my detailed review soon, but let me just say this:  there have been a couple of really unfavorable reviews, especially from Peter Travers at Rolling Stone and less so, from Owen Gleiberman at Entertainment Weekly.  All I can say is this:  in Travers' case, he clearly wiki'd just enough Green Lantern history to show how ignorant he is of the character and his history.  Gleiberman went in expecting a very different movie than a superhero origin film aimed at younger audiences, apparently.  I don't know why he was expecting the nuances he was, but he was surely disappointed.  I place the film on a par with the first Iron Man film.  Yes, it has its flaws.  Yes, I wish there was more time in space, on Oa, and with the alien Green Lanterns.  But Ryan Reynolds and Blake Lively have great on-screen chemistry.  Ryan Reynolds' characterization and portrayal of an average joe who is called upon to rise to be his best and more is SPOT ON.  Peter Sarsgaard is a great villain -- creepy without chewing the scenery.  It's a good summer popcorn flick.  It's not Citizen Kane, but it was never meant to me.  It's based on a funnybook, people!!

I think you'll have a great time!


No comments:

Post a Comment