Thursday, May 12, 2011

Five Weeks

Five weeks from tomorrow, Green Lantern the movie opens around the country.  My favorite poster so far doesn't depict any of the cast, although there are some great posters featuring Ryan Reynolds, Blake Lively, Mark Strong and Peter Sarsgaard.  My favorite poster is the one that also defines why I love the character of Green Lantern so very much:


ANYONE CAN BE CHOSEN!  As I've said before, the main appeal of Green Lantern, for me, is the idea that to be a hero, you just have to be the Right Person.  You have to have a good and honest heart, and the ability to overcome your fears and act when action is needed.  You don't need to be a billionaire orphan, or be rocketed to Earth as an infant, or be bitten by an irradiated (insert-creature-here.)  You have to have the potential for heroism.  And if you are lucky, the ring may choose you, to defend the innocent and the weak, with your life if need be.

The film is looking to be a really good, knock-down, drag-out summer popcorn movie, on the order of the first Iron Man film.  The toys are out now (of course there are toys) but the biggest seller seems to be the mask and light-up ring that lets a kid BE Green Lantern!  This gives me hope, not only for the success of the movie, but for the kids who, like me when I was 8 years old, all want to be The Right Person.

Good for you!


No comments:

Post a Comment