Wednesday, February 6, 2013

Facebook: Stop This!!

I'm talking about this charming little message:  "This app may post on your behalf, including status updates, photos and more."

Are you kidding me???

Let's make it perfectly clear:  If I have something to say, or post, why, I will say it, or post it.

I do not want any applications doing anything and then slapping my name on it.

Lately there have been a number of apps offered that actually seemed interesting to me.  I never caught the Facebook "Farmville" or "Mafia Wars" bugs, but occasionally something in pop culture comes along that appeals to me, and of course in these days of social media that something invariably has a Facebook presence.  Unfortunately, I have been unwilling to explore any of their applications because the final step, on the page where you click on either "Accept" or "Cancel," has the message, "This app may post on your behalf, including status updates, photos and more."

This is crap, Facebook, and on some level you have to know it.

There is a videogame coming in a few weeks called "Injustice: Gods Among Us" about which I have been wanting to learn more.  On the plus side it involves a huge roster of characters taken from the pages of DC Comics, including my favorite hero, Green Lantern.  On the (hugely) minus side, it seems to be a fighting game and comes from the makers/developers of the dreaded "Mortal Kombat" franchise.  The game now has an app on Facebook which would let me learn some more about the game, see what it looks like, vote on the outcomes of potential matchups, etc.  (Sidebar:  We fan geeks LOVE to vote on stuff like the outcomes of potential matchups.  Who would win, Superman or Batman?  Wonder Woman or Spider-Woman?  Is the Hulk strong enough to lift Thor's hammer?  It's not just eight-year-old kids arguing about this stuff on playgrounds, folks.)

But I refuse to use the Injustice: Gods Among Us app because it may post on my behalf.  And this is just one in a string of recent, well, disappointments.  I want to use the app.  I want to vote.  I do NOT want my entire Facebook family to know that I think that when the chips are down Solomon Grundy is going to lay a smackdown on Gorilla Grodd.  I barely want my Facebook family to know that I know who those characters are.

So ... thanks, but no thanks, Facebook.

No comments:

Post a Comment