Wednesday, December 29, 2010

Closing Out The Year

Well, folks, I did it.  I did it and then some.  52 weeks in a year and this is my 63rd blog entry for 2010.  I resolved to make at least one entry per week, and I hope the habit has stuck; I'd like to continue this journey with as many of you as care to come along.

I would also like to share a few thoughts here at year's end that inspire me when I am depressed or discouraged.  Maybe they will have a similar effect on you sometimes.

• When you look up at the night sky, your mind is touching light that comes from other stars.  Light that comes from other times as well.  The stars may be unimaginably far away, but we walk in their light just the same as though we were walking on their worlds.  That we are able to do this, and to appreciate it, is a gift from the universe.

• Speaking of stars, Carl Sagan said it best:  "We are all made of stars."  It's true.  Any element higher on the Periodic Table than iron can only be made when a star explodes.  Think about it.  Stars exploded, and their force pushed these elements through space where they ultimately condensed into planets around our Sun.  Every atom in your body was made in the heart of an exploding star.  We are star stuff.  This is ridiculously amazing and humbling all at the same time.

• If there is a more remarkable event in this life than love from another person freely given, I would like to hear about it.  I am so fortunate in my wife and daughter.  I remember being profoundly moved the first time I laid eyes on each of them, and they have blessed me continuously since.  Lucky, lucky man.

• The world, as another wise man once said, is not only stranger than we imagine -- it is stranger than we can imagine.  If you don't believe me, go watch a cuttlefish.

There is so much more I would like to say, but perhaps it might be best if I save it for some of next year's entries.  :)  Happy New Year, everybody.

No comments:

Post a Comment