Monday, July 26, 2010

Pride

This past Saturday the city of Harrisburg hosted its Fifth Annual Gay Pride parade and Pridefest, and my daughter Olivia and I both marched as part of a contingent from our church, the Unitarian Church of Harrisburg.  Unitarian-Universalism's first tenet is the affirmation of the worth and dignity of every human being, and supporting gay, lesbian, bisexual and transgender people everywhere is part of that affirmation.  We could have just marched behind a banner and showed our support to the GLBT community in that way, but instead, we marched as a marching band.  We call ourselves the Flaming Chalices, after the symbol of Unitarian-Universalism, and yes, the double entendre of the first word is entirely intentional.  The band consists of percussionists, some brass, some plastic lung-powered keyboards, and lots of flag twirlers.  The odd kazoo has also been known to put in an appearance.  I myself play coconut shells.

In spite of the deadly heat and my latest wave of Crohn's complications, we made it to the parade, finished the march, and my daughter went on to volunteer at Pridefest for the next several hours, in record heat, selling wristbands and helping in the children's area of the festival.

This year I was given the honor of being asked to come up with something for the band to chant in between performances of "Y.M.C.A." and "Over the Rainbow."  I came up with the following call-and-response cadence call, in the form of a "Jody Call."  I think people liked it OK.  If you have occasion to use it when marching for the rights of our GLBT sisters and brothers, please, feel free to do so with my blessing, and make whatever changes you feel are appropriate to your event:

I don't know what you've been told --
     I don't know what you've been told --
Discrimination's gettin' old!
     Discrimination's gettin' old!

I don't know just what you've heard --
     I don't know just what you've heard --
Prejudice is for the birds!
     Prejudice is for the birds!


There is something you should know:
     There is something you should know:
A brand new wind is gonna blow!
     A brand new wind is gonna blow!


Gay and straight, LGBT
     Gay and straight, LGBT
Pride Fest is the place for me!
     Pride Fest is the place for me!


Count off -- One Two
Count off -- Three Four
Count off -- One Two Three Four
     Three!  Four!

No comments:

Post a Comment