Saturday, May 29, 2010

A Week

One of my favorite podcasts is Kevin Smith's and Scott Mosier's "Smodcast" which usually ends with Kevin Smith wishing you to "Have a week."  I have had a week.

The dog and I are still adjusting.  This week, while I had to be out of the house with my daughter for just a couple of hours, the dog decided that he would try to follow us by tunneling out of the laundry room into the garage.  In just two hours he managed to destroy a significant portion of the floor -- and this is after we had him groomed and trimmed.  I shudder to think what the damage would have been if he's still had the long nails he had when we adopted him.

So after some tense words, my wife and daughter went out to buy a dog crate.  We now have to lock him up whenever we have to leave him alone.  He does not like it, and at age 7+ it is proving to be very, very difficult to crate train him.  He obviously never had crate training of any kind before.  However, he is not unintelligent; he has already become very adept at snatching the treats we are using to entice him into the crate, and bolting back out before we can even begin to close the door.  For a dog in his fifties, he can be pretty damned fast when he wants to be.

So things are tough.  And I'm still sick.  And since I spent the last entry complaining and moaning about some of these very issues, I really don't have anything much to say of consequence.  I'm still on a number of bandwagons along with the rest of you:  the "Lost" finale made me very emotional; Facebook's privacy is really upsetting me; some of my dearest (and farthest-flung) friends, with whom I have only recently reconnected, are already leaving Facebook at the end of this month because they can't bear to support Zuckeberg's complete lack of sensitivity towards the privacy of others.

Like I said, I'm in the same boat as a bunch of you.  I imagine many of you "had a week" as well.

It's still better than not having a week.  Let's keep telling ourselves that.

No comments:

Post a Comment